With a title like that the number of topics I could be writing on are varied: continued anitsemitism (the man didn't just hate Jews. His ignorance was so pronounced that postmortem rumors of Disney being in the deep freeze revolved around the hope for a world without Jews. The depth of human hatred is astonishing...); perhaps it could be the spread of mice as pets; or, maybe, it could be the modern need for "true love."
This isn't coming from a cynnical place. I am very happily in love, and proud to say it; this is coming from the years of watching many people hope for "wuv, twue wuv."
Jackie made me watch "Enchanted" today. For those of you who don't know, it is the story of Disney realizing how obnoxious every fairy tale movie they ever wrote was. Think of a princess stereotpe, they mock it mercilessly. It may be the greatest thing I have ever seen simply for those moments where nothing goes according to plan and the prince is run over by bicyclers (maybe I empathized with the cyclists?).
Regardless, my girlfriend, every woman within half a century of me, and future generations got their notions of love from movies that tell you that your love will arrive unexpectedly, with jokes, and roses, and no argument (except the one that shows how the two of you are meant to make it because you were ale to reslve a simple misunderstanding).
All I am saying is that this is ridiculous...
Kind of funny... or at least expensive and taxing on my wit. Either way, I wish that Terminator 2 could be seen as a modern love story... luckily for me, my girlfriend thinks T2 is a modern classic worthy of watching on a regular basis.
Ah yes, true love.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Boo your gushiness. I won't lie though. I do live through movies. Unfortunately, that is what my life has come to.
your cynicism is so very very sad. most women know that disney movies are just that - over-romanticized exhibitions of love. And if in reality, a random guy decided to mimic the behavior of the main love interest in any of those fairy tale movies, I assure you, more likely than not,he'd be rewarded with bear mace to the face. that being said, i personally can't articulate why women like those movies. i tend to advocate for the action/adventure genre.
Post a Comment