Just read this waste of blog-space.
If the title of their article doesn't tip you off that my response is going to be long, rambling, and off the cuff, consider yourself warned. I am in a fiery mood, and all I needed was this.
Let's take the statistics one at a time:
First, lowering the corporate tax rates; what a grand idea. The rate suggested in the blog linked to is 20%. Current corporate tax rates are 39.8%. I understand the logic: allow for the corporations to invest the money, rather than taxing it and employing it for government works projects. One flaw: corporations are no longer about building up. Rather, they have developed into profit machines. If anyone thinks that the first thing a company will do is throw their extra money into R&D, they are about to have a share holder suit on their hands.
The current economic situation is one of the worst for R&D in recent memory. Investing your money into products that no one can afford to buy? Wow, what a great idea.
Even better, let the share holders have the money. So that they can do what with it?! Studies have shown that the current American household wouldn't splurge (I know the thought of Americans not needlessly spending is novel, but it is true), but would pay off their credit. Ultimately, the money would go to the banks. Who created the mess. Who are busy counting their money laughing all the way to the ba... wait... laughing all the way to themselves.
Lower the corporate tax rate for multinational corporations to 5%. I understand the idea from a globalist perspective, but our government is not a globalist government. The first priority of the American government is to create American jobs. Explain to me how the nation which requires a higher minimum wage than most nations in the world would benefit at all from a lowered tax rate? Corporations will not create jobs here. They can't afford it. They can, however, sell their products here, take their profits and invest it overseas.
Yes, this is a great idea which will absolutely stimulate the foreign economy. Wait, was that not the idea here?
Unleash America's energy industry? You cannot be serious... Really?! Honestly, where are you living? Global warming not at all an issue? It has been accepted nearly universally that it is happening, even if debate continues as to the extent and effect. There is only one person so conservative that they would go further to the right than President Bush: President Bush circa 2002. You do not want to join those ranks.
How about taking some of the money and creating oil independent energies? Perhaps hydrogen cells, battery cars, electric cars, hybrids, bicycles, and piggy back rides (I firmly believe this is a burgeoning market)? All I am saying is that this is not the solution, regardless of the GDP's bottom line.
Finally, restrain the federal government's spending so that it does not overburden the economy.
As Jon Stewart says only when frustrated, "WHAT THE FUCK?!"
Here is a little history lesson: Tax-cuts stimulate short term growth. Think Reagan era politics, and the early President Bush (W, not H). Times were a rockin', right? Then what happened? An inevitable crash.
Now, picture huge spending eras. Think President Clinton and post Great Depression economic policies. Nobody saw a substantial growth immediately. Matter of fact, it took 3, 4, 5 years. At the end of that time, though, we had a burgeoning economy. How can no one see the correlation?
Oh, and there will be those who disagree with me; I can someone saying now, "But the economy in the post Great Depression era was stimulated by war." Yes, I am sure it was. So, what was the excuse for the economic crisis on the heels of the Republican administration in the 1970s, the same time that Vietnam was going on? Or, what about the early 1990s, where a Republican administration had just finished tax cutting everyone off at the knees, and we had a war, yet a recession occurred.
IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!
If you are wondering why I wrote this, it is because I am pissed at FedEx for losing my fucking package. I. Want. My. Hat. Rack. Now!
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
relax. eat some conversation hearts or something.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/opinion/11friedman.html?_r=2
i think this idea is awesome. just think of all the amazing indian food places that would crop up with a flood of immigrants!
Post a Comment