Wednesday, November 19, 2008

They Never Learn

In the 1950/60s (to be fair this is a trend with roots throughout the panoply of human governments) Congress, state legislatures, and the public en masse failed to recognize the necessity of forward progress. Civil rights were nullified or expressed as non-existent within the text of the Constitution. Birth control, widely denounced by both religious institutions and its followers, was not permitted (Griswold v. Connecticut 381 U.S. 479) in many, possibly most, states. Segregation failed to respond to the obvious inefficiencies and racial bias (the final nail in the coffin being the infamous doll test: http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_2919.shtml). Social unrest and dissatisfaction was ubiquitous, and society refused to change.

Graciously the era which brought these challenges also brought reform, placing politicians in positions of power who intended to better America's welfare. Great Presidents and Congressmen stepped to the plate and made America sit up and at attention, grasp their society, change their destiny, and hope for a better tomorrow. Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon (yes, I said it. He screwed up at the end, but he wasn't the worst president we have ever had), Carter (Yes, I skipped over Ford. Face it, he was a place holder. A Presidential Proxy, I suppose.), and Reagan. Modern politics brought us Bush I (a true Republican. Economics were his name, game, fame, and any other words you can rhyme.) and Clinton (a democratic idealist who understood that temperance economically and social mobility created a lasting and optimistic society). The era of good feeling faltered here.

To be fair, the game started with the "War Room" strategy created by Clinton's presidential campaig. The resentment was carried onto the legislative field, via Newt Gingrich (Who names their kids Newt?) and politics became, as they had been just prior to the "Switch in Time That Saved Nine" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_switch_in_time_that_saved_nine) adversarial. One-up-manship became the mode of operation, and progress seemed to halt.

The last eight years aside, we seem to have come full circle. America has elected a president who has pronounced the era of political animosity over. Americans, while bogged in the mire of a financial crisis, see the horizon again. Recently my grandfather describe to me why he voted for Reagan: "He made me proud to be an American after ten long years of inaction and inactivity." That sentiment, lost on my prior to this election, came forth in a mad rush as I watched a man I believe in and trust with my nation accept the vote of the American people.

Then I turned to Congress, and read this story: http://www.newsday.com/news/politics/wire/sns-ap-congress-house-gop,0,5707846.story

Why, Republicans? You just heard the American public denounce the ultra conservative logjam. Why throw yourselves down that hole?

Don't get me wrong. I am happy they did. It displays their disconnect with the American Public. But at the same time, I hoped for more. Moving to the right is a denial of the opportunity to have a conversation and create a greater end. Why pass such an opportunity by?

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

These men serve the Constitution. As the Preamble states, the Constitution was created by "We the People." As such, Congress has effectively pledged themselves to the people. In my eyes, moving to the right, refusing to have a discussion, hunkering in for what will undoubtedly be titled by some as the demise of America, and ignoring that age old rule we are taught in Kindergarten ("Play nice with others.") shows no interest in fulfilling their duty. Instead Republican leaders have chosen the path of adversity.

America needs change. Now, if only our leaders could know.

No comments: