Modern technology has developed a litany of mediae (not mediums, or so my computer tells me) to transport complex messages, elaborate dramas, and other things I cannot begin to understand.
Despite this variety, I think that one stands paramount amongst the rabble. This medium has reigned supreme across the last half century. Nixon lost an election due to this medium's persuasive power. A lone man stepped upon an other-wordly body, yet the entirety of humanity (except skeptical disbelievers) shared in Neil Armstrong's conquest from nearly 240,000 miles away.
Television trumps all.
While previous generations associate moments of political grandeur and human achievement as the spectacles with the 'ol "boob tube," in my lifetime moments of real human experience have hardly been the norm. The daily dramas, sitcoms, "reality" escapades, and stand-up comedy specials have replaced true human experience. Rarely do we receive sensationalized tidbits reminiscent of the real world -- think "I did not have sexual relations with that woman," or, unfortunately, Stewart Smalley's (Al Franken) induction into the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (aka Senate) -- rather, scripted and feigned personality have become the norm.
Yet, despite dearth of unscripted life on television, we find/create connections with what we view. Three times in the my life has a melodramatic, producer driven, mega-bucks series actually affected me. First was the Joan of Arc Mini-Series that took the nation (maybe just my TV) by storm in the late 90s. How unbelievably attractive Leelee Sobieski (her parents should be shot for that name) was aside, it showed the intolerance of man. Maybe she was schizophrenic and fulfilled "God's" mission, but does such a full hearted effort warrant church driven murder? Why would people kill someone for what they believed? As a 14 year-old kid, this thought plagued me, and the story-line had me emotionally invested.
Next was the show I cite as the greatest the world has ever known: The West Wing. I am not creating a hyperlink for a reason. If you don't know, get a clue and season 1. If you do know, I hope you see where I am going. Politics in the mid-90s had devolved into a moralistic shouting match: the consciences of the Left demanded social action (or tax payments) to provide equality for all; the morals of the Right protected traditional values instilled in our Judeo-Christian culture. And yet our nation’s greatest leaders failed in developing a coherent strategy that tempered these two (apparently) opposing views. And then NBC elected President Bartlet. Here was a man who, even in his most flawed moments, strove for a reasonable answer to his citizen’s problems. If such promise could not be voted into our lives via the electoral process, at least we could satiate ourselves with a mock government in tune with the populous' expectations on public discourse.
And, finally, we come to the unassuming, unpretentious, and often mindless shows we attach ourselves to. For my money, no greater example of mind numbing entertainment exists than “Scrubs.” Zach Braff aside (a grand point to set aside indeed), the show had a quality missing in its peers. Waxing poetic and philosophical were underpinnings of J.D.’s entire being. Despite being short of “The Apology,” the show at least made jokes while following the daily experiences of an average group of individuals viewers easily related to. This show sneaks moments of clarity between a capuchin chimp banging cymbals. To top it all off, it is the show that gave us “Guy Love.” And, after eight years of watching the show, I had a hard time accepting these “lives” were over. I am not obsessed with drama, but I have learned to invest myself over time into characters I find relatable. That investment is TVs greatest asset.
Television not only speaks to us as radio does, doesn’t simply grant us a brief window into the lives of a few characters as movies do, or only leave us hanging as the greatest novels do. Television does this all. On television, stories are told as eloquently as the radio ever could, windows literally years in the making are provided, and, upon a great show’s completion (like Scrubs and The West Wing), the viewer can’t help but wonder what has become of those characters over the course of their lives. Television has the great privilege of combining all we know about human interaction and communication, and providing it to us more efficiently than any other medium.
Simply put, I am glad I live now, rather than in another age where the radio, “talkies,” town crier, bard, or paintings on a stone wall were the extent of our story telling ability.
And by the way, Neda, this one was for you. I hope studying abroad is going well.
1 comment:
Coincidentally, I am currently watching Scrubs as I read this.
Post a Comment