Thursday, May 21, 2009

C-SPAN, Home Improvement, and Sheep

Had we been engaged in a raucous game of Family Feud, the survey would almost definitely have been on "Things I have seen on television in the last twenty seconds."

Law school offers no perspective. Tunnel vision develops within at the primary stage of your studies (read: first day of class), becomes your only means of viewing the world midway through the year, and by the last day of your finals, the world outside of Prosser, Scalia, and Steinman (if, upon reading this last name, cold sweats do not ensue, consider yourself fortunate) have permanently vacated themselves from your mind.

And then Summer happens.

Flowers bloom around students too engrossed (used pejoratively) with minute legal differentiations to enjoy their beauty. Baseball beckons, yet lawyers-to-be have earplugs capable of muting the American classic's siren song. Bikini's and board shorts beg to be worn, left at the wayside in favor of a pinstriped suit.

And then Summer happens!

I posted my last three sights from the television because they are literally amongst the probably 30 times in the past ten months I have watched live TV (actually I mention C-SPAN because it is amazing; democracy in action, my dear readers!). I harped on the ease of college life as compared to the post-graduate world in a previous post, but the matter warrants a second mention. To the frat-dudes and sorority gals: stay put. The keg-stands end with the Dean's dutifully handshake.

For those readers/persons having recently completed their trek through THE 1L experience, congratulations. Enjoy whatever internship, employment, or classes you have undertaken. Just promise me your television will not be neglected as it has. At least not neglected for something so mundane as Marbury v. Madison. Walking to Jack London Square for chicken and waffles will do as well.

Come out from your tunnel, grad students. The light at the end has the NBA finals on it.

With that, I am walking to Jack London Square for chicken and waffles. Happy Summer.

2 comments:

emily said...

spelling error! :)

maverik208 said...

I think the omission of an extra "o" from too counts as a typo, not a spelling error.

:p