Again, I am not at all humble. I am not, however, proud of my state of mind.
Unfortunately, some seem to flaunt their greatest flaws. The author of that article admitted, and got a plea bargain for, his own illicit actions. In effect, he had stolen money from the citizens of Chicago, and lived the good life as a result of his actions.
Oh, and convinced the New York Times to provide him with a grandstand from which he could brag about his activities and promote his upcoming book. In perusing the article, no hint of remorse can be identified; the author seems too preoccupied reliving his penthouse romps and cosa nostra interactions.
As one of very few newspapers that hasn't begun the now expedited process of dying, and one of an even more select few that receives national attention, the New York Times should be dedicated to providing commentary on the state of society. Instead, they have created a platform for show-boating; worse, the activities put on display by the op-ed constitute violations of the law. The Times fails to even attempt journalistic responsibility with an at least half hearted pretext.
I misspoke above when I said that the Times should provide commentary on society; they have, and the message couldn't be clearer: criminal political activity has entered America's definition of "normal." I agree that Mr. Goehl should receive a forum to lament over his past indiscretions, and even that the Times would be a suitable place for such a statement. I disagree, however, with the unapologetic tone. This blog (it appeared on the front page of nytime.com) heralds the beginning of Mr. Goehl's book tour. A tour to popularize his memoirs, for which he received a "six-figure deal."
Hundred's of thousands of dollars... with that kind of money, Mr. Goehl should be able to buy back his penthouse apartments, and rub elbows with the mafioso again. Lucky him. Not so lucky us.
Unfortunately, even in the cloud of my arrogance, I can spot an improvement society must undertake: begin feeling guilt over the wrongs we commit. Without an effort at improvement, our arrogance may become our narcissistic downfall.
(Note: For any who are interested in sociological studies on this topic, they exist. I have read the book, and the findings are unfortunate at best.)
No comments:
Post a Comment